Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Response To Tracy Morgan.....

So it's been almost a week since the United States was shaken by Tracy Morgan's "I'd kill my son if he were gay comment during a stand up performance in California. I have never been a huge fan of Morgan myself, but I will say that didn't help him earn any brownie points with me either (no pun intended). 


What exactly he meant by that we may never know, you cannot get too offended when comedians make fun of social relevant and sometimes not so relevant issues. My disappointment came primarily from someone in his position in the black community where you've been given a chance that many young men dream of, and you make a fool out of yourself, and this is not the first time for Morgan.


We live in a society where black men, particularly same gender loving, gay and bisexual black men have it the HARDEST. Our death rates higher than other race, many of us are in some kind of way tangled up in the criminal justice system,  lacking education, role models, and the list goes on, so when you have a black father say something like that about disowning his own child it makes me look beyond the whole "gay" thing. 




"I know how bad bullying can hurt," Morgan said. "I was bullied when I was a kid. I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean it. I never want to use my comedy to hurt anyone. My family knew what it was like to feel different. My brother was disabled and I lost my father to AIDS in 1987.... Parents should support and love their kids no matter what. Gay people deserve the same right to be happy in this country as everyone else. Our laws should support that." -Tracy Morgan (Huffpost.com)


Well I am glad his PR people helped him come up with that, but my question is, why did it take you have to try to clean up a terrible situation for all of this to come out. Why do so many black men hide so many things about what's going on in our lives, and how we truly feel? These are the exact reasons we are dying at the number we are. People are too careless when it come to other people lives. 


I am really getting tired of this. It makes me revisit the whole Eddie Long case, why do black men in great postions keep making these mistakes that make all of us look bad, then trying to clean them up only make THEM look even more stupid. We MUST do better!




@uppiTEAomar on Twitter! Follow Me!

1 comment:

NiRosha K said...

I loved your response. I hate when prejudice against any particular group is handed out like candy. It's taking too long for the world to evolve and accept people for who they are. And some people, like Morgan, need to invest in a filter.