Wednesday, February 13, 2008

about to shake washington up again....






well i have been trying to get to dc for sometime now. i decided recently that i will be interning in dc over the summer, and hopefully that will open up some doors for me to get a real gig up there by the end of the summer, if not i will have another plan. i took my first trip to washington dc in 1994 to visit my sister while she was in undergrad @ howard university. i was into being a tourist, wanted to see the capitol, white house, and all the monuments. i took a few more trips afterwards, but none like the trip to dc i have taken in the recent years. i have a artistic side, i have never been much into politics and that kind of thing, until i realized that i was a gay man of color, and so many of us just settle for whatever. i had the wonderful opportunity of being introduced to the human rights campaign in 2006. for the first time in my life i was intrigued by politics, the political process, and standing for equality and change. i started looking more and more into public policies, and what i wanted and needed to do to be at my generations forefront of change. you see i have lived, i am pretty advanced for a 22 year old, and i love life. i am one that believes the only way one can truly analyze something is to live it. i don't believe in a lot of physiological studies, and reading books to figure out a type of person. some studies i understand on other i don't nor do i care to attempt to. when i crossed my fraternity i received a call from one of my most political friends, and he had the following words for me that have stuck with me every day since then he said the following

"Terrance, you are the type of person that most of us aspire to be. you are accepted, but you don't care if others don't accept you. you accept yourself. you are proof to society that all gay men of color are not one particular way. with the work you have done with the hrc, on our campus, and in the community in houston, you are truly a leader, and you will go far, i see what you are doing, and you will be one of the people we read about when it comes ot historical figures in the black sgl community."

those words touched me in so many ways that it's crazy. well last fall i took another trip to DC for a hrc hbcu conference, and once again it was a life changing experience. however his trip was different. i was able to actually sit down and talk to people, then more than one person asked me "Terrance have you ever considered coming to DC?" i was like yeah i come all the time, they said no i mean to lobby, work for human rights, and other important issues facing young people..and no i had never really considered. when i was on capitol hill i ran into a friend from undergrad @ pvamu who now works on the hill, and she said "Terrance you look happy" that made me feel great, but more than that it made me consider a move to DC even more. i came home to texas, and six months later here i am. i have had to realize that my life is just that my life, and i have to do things that will please me, and most of all please my lord and savior jesus christ. i will forever be greatful for this gift that i have and now i am ready to use these god given talents to work for my community...

washington is not texas

okay so the weather is cold, i will not take my car, and i will not have whataburger. i will be in a city where it seem that the african-american community is more progressed, and educated. i will be able to chill with other lobbyist, students, and very opinionated people. i will be able to make life long contacts, ride my bike on the mall, and go to museums on the regular. with the help of some of my texan friends hopefully i will fit right in. so after houston splash festivities wrap up seems i will packing up and hitting it.....!

No comments: