Thursday, October 19, 2006

Boy in the city....

I arrived in NYC on Tuesday, and I LOVE IT!!! When I got here Tuesday it was raining, and kind of cold, which pissed me off beacuse it seemed like the rain followed me from Texas. I flew jetBlue, which just started offering flights from Houston Hobby to JFK last month for $79.00 one way. The flight was fine, a little bumpy, but nothing horrible. I was aable to sit back and watch the today show, some cold case shit on A&E, and catch up on Project Runway. Being able to watch TV sure makes the trip a lot better, however I am pissed that they don't have CNN... I arrived, and had to wait for Trevor to meet me. Tuesday night we went to Manhattan, he wanted to make me familiar with the subways, and show me his where his job was on the Upper East Side. In the rain we went to Time Square, and that was when it officially sank in that I was a boy in the city. When you are from small town Texas, sometimes things like this can be a bit overwelming. Until about tow months ago I never had considered living in NYC, I always thought it was too many people with horrible additudes, and a entirly different world from the rest of the United States of America. Wedensday morning I woke up, and got ready to go meet Jonathan at the GLAAD offices in midtown. For my first time on the subway by myself I didn't get lost, and I was so proud of myself. The GLAAD offices were great, a comfortable space on the 8th floor of an older building in Manhattan's Midtown. The colors were bright, and everyones' space seemed to be clean and well organized. I sat down with Jonathan and talked about everything from coming out, to school, to what I wanted to acomplish by moving to New York. I was glad that I was able to talk to him, and get his input about eveything. Like myself he is from the South, I left a small town and went to Houston, he went to Emory in ATL, then made the move to the Big Apple. He told me it's going to be a good thing, and he thinks it will be great. After the meeting was when the fun started, I decided to go out and get lost...I ended up walking the streets of Manhattan for about three hours, before ending up at Trevors' job. He was excited when he saw that I was able to make it alone, and he took me across the street for pizza. My fisrt slice of NYC pizza was off the chain.... I decdied to go and take a look at the upper east side for myself, and I was so impressed. I felt like my adopted character Carrie Bradshaw off Sex and The City. I walked up and down Fifth and Park Avenues, went to the Apple Store, and Tiffany & Co. I must say I love this place if I have not aready said it....I spke to my mother for the first time since I had been in NY, and the conversation went great, of course she fussed about me not bring good shoes for walking expecially after my whole foot problems. But she told me she was happy I was having a good time. That is the hardest thing is leaving my mother, I feel like she has been my keeper for some long and always had my best intrest at hand, and now by me up and leaving to move over 2000 miles away is kinda slap in the face. My mother is happy with living in a small town where it takes her 15 mins to get to work, and she knows everyone in town. When I told her about all the people here, and just the general atmosphere of NYC, she was like "I wouldn't like that", but I know she will feel different when she comes to visit me next summer. Trevor too me to a resturant in to eat BBQ last night, it was nothing like TX, but if filled me up for the train ride back to Brooklyn. By time we made it back to his place I was tired, I could only take a hot shower and retire to bed....NYC is one of those places where you go and go and go, so by time you make it home you can sleep and really nothing else. I was so happy to see that so many people hit me up of facebook saying they were happy for me...As for today, I am going to relax, and I might get out later this afternoon and explore a little more...but I am not sure yet....I will keep you all posted...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Terrance!

Congrats on the trip "up Norf" as the ole' folks down here in Texas would say. I'm glad you had the nerve to move to NYC, I would like to see myself living there one day myself, but I'm so dern loyal to Texas. You know how that is.

Post some pictures of your loft, flat, apartment whatever you want to call it. And take some random snaps of NYC for us down here.

PV....U know!