Wednesday, October 11, 2006

National Coming Out Day...


Five years ago I came out. Coming out was something that shaped my life. I was a scared and confused 16 year old. I always had the belief that being gay was not something that you spoke of, and that it would cause more harm than good. Unlike many others I knew I was gay and acepted it within myself and my own heart very early on.
I will never forget when I told my mother, who already had suspected it. When I told her she was speachless for a few seconds, then she told me just becasue I was gay it didn't change anything. Even after those word from her mouth, and her supportive additude, I still fear rejection from her. I quickly got comfortable with telling others, which was good but made high school a living hell for me. I droped out of high school, attained my GED, and never looked back. Coming out has to be one of the hardest things for others as hard as it was for me. You have to be ready to accept the fact that no one might not understand, you almost, aways will be judged in one way or another, and you never know what to expect. People will say that they love you, and mean something completely different. For the most oart my closest friends were in denial, and once they saw it was a serious matter they accepted it. I will never forget the day my god father, the only real father I have had in my life for a long period of time told me that it was a part of the life that god wanted me to live for me to be gay. This was coming from old school, a deacon in the church, and someone that knew the bible from cover to cover. That convesation gave me a fuck the world additude. If others choose not to accept me for being the person god created me to be then fuck em and I don't need them in my life. Coming out was hard, but if I had to do it all over I would have still come out. I could not imagine living a lie or living in the closet because of fears of the blanket that society places on the gay community. Being gay I have found many more families, I have traveled, met interesting individuals, and been able to make differences in my communities. I have been the victim of a hate crime, and that gave me more of a voice and taught me that things happen to us and place the power in our hands to change things. Life is hard, but it is easier being OUT....Happy National Coming Out Day...

No comments: