Monday, October 30, 2006

why i didn't go to the statue of liberty....


one of my friends from undergrad saw all of my pictures from nyc, and asked me, why didn't you go to the statue of liberty? so here is my anwser. as a young black gay man living in the united states of america, i am happy and every proud to be an american, but i still feel in many ways i don't have much liberty. i live in what is supposed to be the smartest, and richest counrty in the world, yet my peers are fighting a war for no reason, i still have to damn near sell my soul for a quarter tank of gas,i am not free to marry who i love. coming across the atlantic ocean immigrants from countries in europe saw the statue, and knew they were in a new place to start a new and better life, my poor ancestors were not treated to a view like that. they were forced onto ship only to get to a country where they would never be free again.....so why should i get get excited about that, were the people of new orleans free when our own government left them to die for the days proceeding hurricane katina? do my fellow glbt brothers and sisters feel like we have liberty, when we have to hide our feelings, have a goverenment that we feel could care less about us, and not marry or be free to love as others...so how do you feel??

No comments: