Tuesday, July 24, 2007

bridging the gap from boyhood to manhood...

it's tuesday morning, and i am just waking up, from the first full night of sleep in over a week, i turned 22 last wedensday 18.july.07 and since then i have been on a rocket of some sorts. i look back over the past year, and i would have never expected a birthday like the one i had last week. last week gave me hope and inspiration, and most importantly it showed me to conquer my dreams, and life. my weekend was great with the exception of a few things i am not going to comment on, but friday night we hung out @ chacho's in houston, and went on to the club, which was shut down early due to a raid by the fire marshal [memo i still need to email bill white, the mayor of houston about that} anyways...saturday morning i woke up had to take care of some business, then it was on to the galleria for a day of shopping, fishing , lunch, and relaxation. my party was saturday night @ the grand lux cafe, and it was by far the best birthday i have had. several of my friends that i had not seen in a while showed up, and we laughed, ate, laughed even more, and even did the occasional reads...even my brother-in-law and sister showed up to sing happy birthday to me...i must say thanks brandon for everything you did to make this such a memorable birthday. sunday i hung out the brandon, and ralph as we did lunch, shopping, and got ideas for our new condo. i had fun all weekend. however the most touching part of my birthday came late sunday night. i was a bit upset about some other things, so to clear my mind i decided to catch the metrorail downtown to snap some pictures of downtown houston at night. i wanted sometime to think. riding through midtown (my fav. part f houston) i knew their were a lot of homeless people, but i had no idea of how bad it was at night down there. i opted to get off @ the mcgowen street station, and walk down main street. as i looked and saw the homeless children. women and men of houston, texas it touched my heart. in a country as rich in america, i counted 64 homeless people in two blocks, then i looked over one block and saw a sign for some new condos that will be starting at $500,000. i was disgusted. i complained as a child about not having the latest brands, and i have now become a fashion icon, with my $300 pairs of jeans, and almost daily trips to the mall, seeing this situation really made me think about things. i continued to walk and in the heart of the downtown historic district where everyone goes out and spends $40 and $50 to get into a club, their were people all around who had not eaten. it was just amazing to see in a city like houston, texas where we have birth some of the countries richest people, where we have 80 story skyscrapers with executive making millions of dollars, where we can spend billions on freeways, and rail transportation, we cannot make valid attempts to combat this problem. it made me think. you see the life i live right now is the life i have worked hard to create for myself thanks to opportunities that were afforded to me. i grew up around structure, with the best of guidance. i am now realizing as a young man that everyone does not have the same opportunities, and no matter how much education i have, no matter what kind of car i drive, what nice condo i live in, that could be me. it made things real practical for me, i could easily go from a comfortable life style as a yubppie sleeping on my 300 thread count sheets, to a worn out cardboard box on main street....

No comments: